Monday, December 31, 2007

NEW YEAR'S EVE IN NAIROBI

Ok I made a bad move today. Since it looks like this is gonna last a little longer and get more serious than anticipated, I went to do some last minute shopping for essentials. We heard one of the stores would be open for about 30 minutes so I headed off to see if I could scrounge some milk and rice. Well, all was quiet when I left but I had to stand in the check-out line for about 2 hours. This went over the time when Raila was to announce he was President in Uhuru Park. This rally was dispersed by GSU (presidential security force) but the mob of several thousands headed up Ngong Road, highly agitated, throwing rocks and chanting, "No Raila, No Peace!" Well, Ngong Rd. is where the store is that I was shopping in. Nobody in the store had a clue that trouble was coming until I saw 2 trucks full of police, assault rifles bristling, pull up out front. I was almost to check-out when the security doors on the store came slamming down, locking everyone inside. Then, we were able to hear the angry crowds outside yelling and chanting. Next, the police started firing and popping tear gas. This went on for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, I'm texting back and forth to Liz letting her know what's happening, she and the family can hear the gunfire from our apt. and she has everyone in a hallway away from the windows. Finally, it quiets down outside and they open the security doors. I ran into one of my neighbors at the store so he jumped in the car with me and we head out through the debris that had been strewn all over the road. There are still people on the streets but very dispersed so I gun it and take a back way to the house. We pull down our street and here comes another crowd marching up the road toward us about 50 yards from our compound gate. Our guard saw us coming and had the gate opening as we flew into the driveway. He slammed and locked the gate as the crowd passed by.

Everyone in the compound was out and wondering if we were gonna make it back. People were hugging and crying and reprimanding us for our foolishness. I gotta a big hug from Liz. As always the Lord was watching over us and now we should have more than enough food and plenty to share for the week.

God is good and we know that He is our peace and security and that, "He causes all things to work together for good to those that love Him and are called according to His purpose". Keep prayin. As I type this out I can hear rifle fire all around our neighborhood. The girls are getting a little concerned and wondering what it's all about and Grandma said this is the most excitement she's had in 80 years.

Liz just informed me that she emailed you all while I was in lockdown at the store and mentioned that we're not ruling out anything including evacuation, we'll see what happens. Meanwhile, I just saw on Yahoo News, local stations are blacked out, that Raila has called for a million people to rally on Thursday and I assume demand he be declared President. Obviously not a guy who cares much about peace and security.

Again, keep prayin, and we'll keep you updated as things develop and as long as the cyber connection lasts. On that, I can't send any more emails as apparently I've exceeded Hotmail's limit in 24 hrs, so keep checkin the Blog.

Love you all,
By His Grace and for His Glory, God is good!
Mike, Liz and the whole Fam

3 comments:

Moore's Nest said...

We're praying and sent email out informing everyone we could. Had to leave a message on Bart's phone though.Nancy

Jen said...

We are praying. Love you all.

Donna said...

I'm praying for God's peace for you all. He is the only One who can give perfect peace. Donna